Thinking of taking a trip overseas to your favourite holiday location? Why not have your wedding there too!
Many couples are moving their nuptials to an exotic location and are taking their families and friends with them for the ride. According to recent studies, Bali is one of the top wedding destination for Australian couples, followed by Thailand, Fiji and Tahiti. However, unlike planning a holiday, organising a destination wedding takes a whole lot of work, and maybe a few stressful moments.
To help couples wed overseas, the team at Cheapflights (cheapflights.com.au) have created a comprehensive and fun eBook – Getting Married Abroad.
Here are some of their top tips for planning that all important day:
- Get your Save the Date cards out to guests as early as possible
- Research the country you will wed in – every country has different laws, rules and regulations when it comes to wedding ceremonies
- Speak to the wedding co-ordinator at your destination – many resorts have a qualified event planner that can help foreign couples get what they need to plan their wedding
- Find a gown that will be easily packed, isn’t heavy and doesn’t require too much fiddling – such as a flowing kaftan or lightweight silk dress
- Check weather forecasts for the area you would like to marry at – this helps with the theme of your wedding and also helps you decide what to pack
- Find out what official documents you will need to have with you. This includes birth certificates, valid passports etc. They will need to be translated to the destination’s official language.
- Decide on your budget – this is needed for any wedding, but is especially important as you can get carried away when staying overseas. Don’t forget all your guests have to book accommodation and flights too!
- Organise some activities for your guests to do. This is after all a holiday for them too. Maybe organise special welcome packs in their rooms that introduce them to the area.
The eBook also has great suggestions on where you should have your destination wedding, from the castles of Rome to the Island of Nevis.
It may seem daunting at first, but once you are standing across from your loved one with your feet in the sand (or wherever your heart desires!) you will know planning a destination wedding was worth the trouble.
For more information and to download the eBook, visit cheapflights.com.au/travel/getting-married-abroad/